Saturday, January 25, 2014

Mix Feeding

After 7 months of being purely breastfed, Mikolo had his 1st taste of formula this week. *sob* I've been having a hard time supplying his feeding needs. Even after being together the whole time during my 2-week holiday vacation, I still wasn't able to increase my breastmilk supply. Sadly, I really had to give in to formula milk.

Although this is the longest I've done (Uno and Matteo were only purely breastfed around 5 or 6 months), I am still sad. The good thing though is Mikolo's transition wasn't difficult. In fact, the nanny said he enjoyed it! His 2 older brothers didn't like the taste of formula at first and it was a struggle, but Mikolo just drank it in one sitting, or sipping rather.

If you need to mix feed your baby (while you're at work or out of the house), here are a few transition tips:

1- squeeze in the formula milk in between breastmilk feedings
2- formula feeding can also come in after all the breastmilk has been consumed
3- use a feeding cup instead of the regular milk bottle with teat
4- whenever you're together, make sure your baby still feeds from you
5- and last but not the least, if your baby is 6 months old and up, mix his mashed fruits/veggies with milk

I hope these tips help.

If you have other tips, please let me know. :)


No comments: